You might find that you’re required to install new printer drivers if you want your printer to function correctly. Printers break for a wide variety of reasons, and sometimes low ink or toner is the main culprit for your printer’s mess-ups.
However, there are many times when your printer simply won’t produce any documents, or your operating system doesn’t recognize your printer. Still more frustrating is that annoying print spooler error. Here, we’ll go over some common ways you can install new printer drivers so that your printer is up and running again.
Dealing With Printer Connection Errors
First of all, printer drivers that become outdated make it impossible to print documents. You may see specific printer errors when your drivers are outdated. Examples of these errors include Error 0x0000000d, 0x00000007e, and 0x00000007d, among others.
These errors usually require prompt attention to the matter at hand. They’ll also be accompanied by an error message that is something to the effect of:
“Windows cannot connect to the printer.”
The first thing you need to do when you see one of these errors is make sure that your printer is properly plugged in. Check all of your printer cables and confirm that you’ve put everything in the right place. Do a once-over to ensure that that the printer is on and fully functional.
When You Need to Uninstall and Reinstall Drivers
If the hardware’s all intact, you should then begin the process of uninstalling and reinstalling your printer drivers. Here’s how.
- Close all programs that are currently open.
- Click “Start.”
- Open “Control Panel.”
- Click “Devices and Printers.”
- Click “View Devices and Printers.”
- Locate your printer among the various icons displayed in the Device Manager.
- Click the “+” to expand the printer’s selection.
- Right-click the printer driver.
- Go to “Properties.”
- Choose the tab labeled “Driver.”
- Click on “Uninstall.”
- Click “Continue.”
- After you’ve uninstalled the printer, you’ll see a yellow exclamation mark next to your printer. Right-click on your printer.
- Choose “Update Driver.”
- Click “Yes, this time only.”
- An update wizard will open. Follow the wizard’s directions.
- Search and download your new printer driver from the manufacturer’s website.
- Double-click the downloaded driver to install and implement it on your computer.
Download and Install Drivers Using Windows Update
As you can tell, this is a pretty labor-intensive process. There’s also the option of using Windows Update to download and install drivers. Windows Update searches Microsoft’s online database for common fix-its to printer problems and driver issues.
However, its functionality is limited, and it’s best suited for very small problems, such as repairing OS bugs or acquiring system patches.
Driver Update Software: An Efficient Solution
The most effective way to download and install new printer drivers is to utilize driver update software. Driver update software will actually scan your entire system for outdated drivers. It’ll then isolate your outdated drivers and replace them with new, updated drivers.
This is a very fast way to fix your computer’s printer problems. In fact, driver update software is known for helping many PC users get their printers running in no time. Go with driver update software when you need to install new printer drivers.